Managing Technology Risk
Medicaid Oversight and Support
States are under tremendous pressure to deliver high quality and cost effective health care to their neediest citizens. Federal Health Care Reform legislation challenges States to implement process and system improvements to meet the needs of even larger caseloads. In addition, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) requires States to conduct assessments to determine current and future systems compliance with Medicaid Information Technology Architecture (MITA) standards. These factors and a number of others have led States to turn to SLI Global Solutions to assist them with planning the correct course of action, selecting the correct technologies and implementation partners, and ensuring that their systems are built and operate correctly.
SLI brings the experience you need to safeguard your investment whether you are upgrading your Medicaid Management Information System (MMIS) or replacing an existing MMIS. We also provide similar risk management services when you are implementing a new Electronic Health/Medical Record (EHR/EMR) system or Health Information Exchange (HIE).
Our staff has worked extensively with CMS and state Health and Human Services organizations, and more recently with State HIEs providing Independent Verification and Validation (IV&V), Quality Assurance (QA), and developing comprehensive project oversight and validation plans. These plans include testing all identified/specified system components for functional accuracy, load capacity, stress factors, and performance parameters to identify problems at each phase of the project. As a result, projects are delivered that fulfill both business and technical requirements – the first time.
SLI delivers a comprehensive set of Medicaid Oversight and Support services that contain proven processes and checklists to help ensure that projects are successful. Our services include:
- MITA Support – SLI assists States with the CMS required MITA State Self-Assessments by guiding government agencies in determining their “As-Is” and “To-Be” processes in their Medicaid enterprise to identify the requirements and system capabilities that are essential components of the planning for modernizing or replacing a MMIS.
- Requirements Support – SLI subject matter experts help States gather and document robust lists of requirements that are used for internal development efforts or are included in Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for Development Vendors. SLI has proven approaches, which include both tools and templates, for facilitating JAD sessions, identifying and tracking requirements, resolving issues, and publishing requirements that are complete, unique, testable, and understandable.
- Procurement Support – SLI staff support State activities in developing APDs, RFPs, and Proposal Evaluation Plans that lead to open and competitive procurement efforts. Procurement support services also include developing scoring approaches, training State evaluation committee members, preparing for and attending bidder’s conferences, responding to bidder’s questions, reviewing proposals, and contract negotiations.
- Project Management, QA, and IV&V Oversight Support – SLI Health IT experts provide a full range of review and assessment services as projects move through the development lifecycle. Our services include review of processes and products related to project management, requirements, design, development, testing, training, implementation, and post-implementation. We provide fact-based findings and actionable recommendations to avoid risks and correct deficiencies.
- Testing Support – SLI provides Test Management services that include independent assessments of test plans, scenarios, scripts, and results for MMIS and other Health IT systems. We also conduct both on-site and off-site independent testing, providing an unbiased assessment of the functional and technical readiness of a system for production.
For more information, please contact us:
David Jennings, Director of Business Development - Government Solutions